SSL or the Secure Socket Layer is an encryption technology used to create a secured
connection between a web server and the client’s web browser. It acts like the backbone of
the secured Internet and protects one’s sensitive and vital information as it travels across the
computer networks on the Internet.
SSL certificates are helpful in secured data transfers, authentic logins, safer credit card
transactions, etc. They provide privacy, security and data integrity to users and make visitors
more likely to stay on a website safely for longer duration.
There are following key benefits of using an SSL certificate on websites:
1. Protects Data: Its core function is to provide protected client-server communication.
On installing SSL, every bit of information is encrypted. Therefore, it proves to be an
edgeless sword for the hackers against the unparalleled encryption technology of SSL
2. Keeps the Identity Confidential: Identity verification is a crucial aspect to provide
secured authentication on a website and SSL certificate helps to achieve that web
3. Helps to satisfy PCI/DSS Requirements: To receive online payments on the
website, the site needs to be Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliant. And for that, a
site must have a SSL Certificate so as to get the approval from the PCI.
4. Provides Better Search Engine Rankings: SSL Certificate has gained prominent
position after Google started prioritizing websites (that possess SSL certificates) with
better search engine rankings.
5. Builds Consumer Trust: Apart from encryption and authentication, SSL certificates
are vital from customer’s trust point of view. Once they know that a website is the
legitimate entity, they are far more likely to do business or even revisit the site.